Rich’s Manifesto for Stroud
I am standing as the MP for Stroud because I believe our current democratic system lies at the heart of our failure to tackle many of today’s big issues – from public service failure, tax dodging to fracking.
If democracy was being designed from scratch today it would have the internet and community organising at it’s heart. Instead todays parties seem to be operating in a bygone age when dusty surgeries, voting once every five years and Punch and Judy debate are still acceptable ways to operate.
The need for people power is though more profound than that. If we want to create a more responsible society – one where people look after one another and the planet – then we have to stop being treated as children by our politicians. And, we have to stop behaving towards politicians as if they are an estranged parent.
If elected I will:
Listen to you:
Ask every constituent their opinion weekly on the upcoming parliamentary votes & respond
Provide 100% transparency on all meetings, spending etc.
Give you the power on when you want it (holding local referenda when requested by 1% of the electorate)
Step down on request:
Stand down and triggering by-election if ever asked to by a majority of constituents
To those who say we can not trust the people, that is the same argument they used against giving women the vote a century ago. They were wrong then, and they are wrong today.
If we always do what we’ve always done, we’ll always get what we’ve always got. This time let’s do something different.
Rich’s Top Five Priorities
- Always Putting The People of Stroud First
- Giving The People of Stroud The Power on The Key Issues (Holding Local Referenda When Requested by 1% of the electorate)
- Asking Every Constituent Their Opinion Weekly On the Upcoming Parliamentary Votes & Responding
- Supporting Local People To Have Their Voices Heard in Westminster
- Standing Down And Triggering By-Election If Ever Asked to By A Majority of Constituents